Made exclusively for dual-screen Android devices like the Microsoft Surface Duo.
- Install S-Duo GamePad from the Google Play Store (coming soon!)
- Go to Settings -> System -> Languages & input -> Virtual Keyboard -> Manage Keyboards.
- Turn on access for the S-Duo GamePad
- Open the app from the icon in the app drawer, and you will see the “Customize Your S-Duo GamePad” screen.
- From here, you can open the gamepad, select a saved key layout, and choose from XStyle and PlayStyle button layout.
- You’ll want to re-visit this screen often to tweak and try out different key settings for different games.
- Open the normal keyboard once with an app that supports entry (like Chrome, Edge).
- Use the little Keyboard icon in the lower right to open the “Choose input method” dialog.
- Select the S-Duo GamePad.
- Next, open your game app on the top screen. The gamepad will probably disappear!!! That’s OK!
- Swipe down on your notifications, and you’ll see a “Show GamePad Keyboard” notification. Tap on this, and the GamePad will return!
S-Duo GamePad is based on the Android InputMethodService (Keyboard) API. Unfortunately, this API only allows passing of key press events, and not all games support keyboard input!
Known Compatible Games
- Mars: Mars
- Sonic the HedgeHog 1
- PUBG (partial support, buggy)
- LodeRunner 1
- Soul Knight
- RetroArch (Emulator system with thousands of games!)
If you find another game that works with S-Duo GamePad, have a question, or are a game developer who wants to discuss compatibility, send me a tweet at @CedarRiverTech!